What do cucumbers do for your skin?
Various luxurious treatments are prevailing in the market that entices you. But you always don't need to create a big holel in your pocket to get that healthy, glowing skin of your dreams. Sometimes simple and natural ingredients can create magic on your skin & quenches its thirst. Do you know one of your favorite salad ingredients, cucumber, does a stellar job for your skin?
Cucumber on skin benefits
The cool, tasty, juicy and crunchy cucumbers are your true companion while having salad, snacks, sandwiches etc. They belong to the gourd family, which also includes pumpkin, zucchini & squash. But did you know that the benefits of cucumber for skin are enormous, and it is a renowned superfood for you & your skin? They have been used in the skincare industry for decades to tackle skin concerns like skin hydration, inflammation & aging.
Cucumber is the powerhouse of vitamins & minerals, which gives it superiority in the skincare industry. The vitamins in these fresh cucumbers play a pivotal role as it effectively supports skin health when applied topically.
When you say the skin benefits of cucumber are countless, it is due to the presence of antioxidants, vitamin C, caffeic acid & folic acid. Antioxidants fight oxidative damage caused by free radicals, whereas caffeic acid & folic acid helps to boost collagen production & safeguard against the early signs of aging. The natural collagen produced in the skin deteriorates over time, which is why indulging ingredients like caffeic acid & folic acid into your daily skincare routine is necessary.
Cucumber on skin benefits
The cucumber is a sumptuous vegetable that keeps the stomach light & cool. Its benefits are not limited to taste; it also offers a plethora of benefits for the skin.
It is jammed with vitamins, minerals & loads of other nutrients, making it a juvenile ingredient for the skin. Here are its benefits :
1. Lessen swelling and puffiness
Cucumber is a promising ingredient that reduces swelling & puffiness of the skin due to its enrichment in folic acid & vitamin C. Where folic acid has the power to stoush environmental toxins, which is one of the reasons that your eyes look puffy. It serves as an excellent remedy for the ones who are sleep deprived & have puffy dark circles around the eyes the following day. Using chilled and finely diced cucumber slices or fresh juice cucumber on your under eyes will instantly reduce the puffiness of the eye & rejuvenates the tired-looking skin.
2. Tackles acne
Cucumber is an ideal ingredient that manages acne. The layers of dead skin cells & oily skin incline clogged skin pores & acne breakouts. Cucumbers help in clearing congested skin pores & tighten them as they have astringent properties. The high water content of cucumber helps to remove the excess sebum from the skin & combats acne breakouts to a great extent. It cleans the clogged skin pores filled with excess sebum & other pollutants.
3. Makes you look younger
Cucumber skin benefits dominate the signs of aging. The antioxidants in cucumber successfully treat wrinkles. The presence of folic acid & vitamin C facilitates the growth of new cells & fights off environmental toxins that turn your tired, dull-looking & prematurely aging face into youthful, healthy, firm and glowing skin.
4. Soothing & calming effect
Cucumbers have soothing, cooling & calming effects on the skin. The anti-inflammatory properties of cucumber help to ease the redness, pain & irritation of the skin that might happen due to insect bites, rashes & sunburns.
5. Perfect dose of hydration
The cucumber comprises 96% water and prepares the skin with optimum hydration. It is one of the cucumber benefits for skin. When it comes to skin moisturization, cucumber juice should be blended with ingredients like aloe vera or honey that soothes the skin as it has cooling properties & anti-inflammatory in nature.
6. 100% anti-inflammatory
Cucumber is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties as it is used to treat cuts, and wounds. Regularly using cucumbers topically will gradually turn down the inflammation of the skin over time.
7. Prevents free radicals
Free radicals appear due to exposure to UV radiation & high levels of pollution. Free radicals are those unstable molecules that cause a lot of damage to the skin cells & severely affect the DNA. The abundance of antioxidants in cucumber fights off free radicals.
8. Tight & taut skin
The astringent properties of cucumbers help to tighten & taut the skin by closing the pores of the skin.
9. Rich in vitamin E
Cucumbers also have the goodness of Vitamin E. It keeps the skin moisturized, healthy & prevents skin breakouts.
What are the best home remedies that deliver the maximumbenefits of cucumber to skin?
1. Best toner for oily skin
How to make it?
• Buy fresh cucumber, wash it properly and peel.
• Cut the cucumber into tiny pieces.
• Heat the pieces of cucumbers in a bowl for 5 to 7 minutes.
• Blend the boiled cucumber in a food processor or blender.
• Filter out the liquid with a clean cloth to remove the pulp.
• Keep the remaining liquid in a clean container and use it as a toner.
2. Best face mask
You can easily make different face masks for your skin using cucumber. You can use natural ingredients of your choice to make it more effective. Here are some examples:
Simple & basic cucumber mask
• Wash the cucumber and blend it without peeling.
• Strain it with a strainer and remove the solid bits of it.
• Wash your face with a cleanser & pat dry it.
• Apply the thick paste of the cucumber mask you made.
• Let it stay for 10 minutes.
• Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Cucumber, honey & oatmeal mask
• Blend a cucumber without peeling & remove the solid bits with a strainer.
• Put the cucumber puree in a bowl.
• Add oatmeal & honey, 1-1 tablespoon each.
• Whisk it well till it gets blended properly.
• Apply it all over your face & leave it for 15 minutes.
• Wash it off your face.
Cucumber & aloe vera mask
• Take cucumber puree in a bowl.
• Mix 2 spoons of aloe vera gel into the puree.
• Massage your face with a mixture for a few minutes.
• Keep it on your face for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Wash it off.
3. Cucumber infused water
• Cut cucumber without peeling it into pieces.
• Pour some water into a container & add the sliced cucumber.
• Let the cucumber soak in that water for 2 to 4 hours.
• Use the water to rinse your face in the morning. It makes you feel refreshed.
4. Include it in your diet
Benefits of cucumber when indulged in the diet as a salad or cucumber juice:
• High in vitamins, minerals & other nutrients.
• Low in calories
• Controls blood sugar
• Promotes weight loss
• Decreases cholesterol level
5. Over-the-counter products
Other than DIY masks & toners are great; you can also go for over-the-counter products that contain cucumber. Face cleansers, toners, mists, masks, scrubs, deodorants & every other skincare item you use can be found containing cucumber.
6. Cucumber for puffy eyes & dark circles
• Cut two round slices of fresh cucumber.
• Close your eyes and put those two slices on each eye.
• Rest with your eyes closed for 10-20 minutes.
• Remove the slices & wash your face with water.
7. Cucumber for skin lightening
• Extract the cucumber juice.
• Mix it with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
• Add a few drops of rose water to it.
• Massage your skin with the mixture & let it dry.
• Rinse off your face with water.
Get cucumber skin benefits from ourCucumber Mint Upvan Facial Cleanser
A formulation of refreshing cucumber with pristine mint creates a refreshing cleanser for your skin. It also has aloe vera extracts & niacinamide that all together pull away impurities. This natural facial cleanser for your skin deeply cleanses the skin & discovers a smoother, softer & brighter appearance of the skin. It safeguards your skin from various environmental stressors, doesn't let a residue of dirt or make-up stay on your skin, and re-energizes it.