Rice Water: How to use it and benefits
Thick, voluminous and shiny hair is what everyone desires. But unfortunately, hair woes are pretty common and hit everyone at any time of the year. Hair graying, dandruff and hair fall are the concerns that arise due to a bad & stressful lifestyle. The heat and chemical treatments may give you the manes of your dreams but damage them in the long run. So, what can you do to stop all the hair ills? To reverse the damage caused to hair, you should use a supernatural solution-Rice Water for Hair.
What is rice water?
Rice water is a sovereign cure for hair ills. It is starchy water that forms when rice is soaked or left when the rice is cooked. Rice water makes overall hair healthy. Applying it to the scalp will reverse the gray hair and nourishes the roots & scalp to make hair grow faster.
This water looks milky due to the presence of starch that works in favor of your hair goals. Rice water for hair is a treasure trove of nutrients that feeds the follicles and repairs the damaged cells with much-needed nutrients. This hair-rejuvenating formula is filled with the goodness of minerals, amino acids, antioxidants, vitamins B, C & E, phosphorus, selenium, potassium, iodine, fiber, magnesium, manganese & zinc.
You should not use plain rice water for your hair as it has a higher pH value than your hair. It is advised to use fermented rice water, as its fermentation brings down the pH level of rice water.
What's in rice water that benefits hair?
The vitamins and nutrients get multiplied when the rice water is fermented. It nourishes the hair follicles, promotes healthy growth & conditions the hair.
A substance known as 'pitera' forms during the rice water fermentation process. It is high in vitamins, amino acids, minerals & organic acids. It encourages cell regeneration & makes hair healthy. The acidic nature of fermented rice water reinstates and balances the pH of your hair.
Do you know the history of rice water benefits for hair?
The noblewomen of the Japanese Imperial Court in 800 AD were famous for their healthy & beautiful long hair because they used to wash their hair with rice water. This hair remedy isn't just a quick fix for your hair problems, but through word-of-mouth, the researchers came to know about it. In 2010, a study was acknowledged & published in the Journal of Cosmetic Chemists about rice water for hair & its many benefits.
It is an ancient solution that worked miraculously for East Asian princesses. She used it for centuries to get long & thick hair. Another shocking fact is that an autonomous Chinese village named Huanglu was known as the "Long-Haired Village". This is because their traditional Yao women are known for their Rapunzel-like hair, which is nearly 1.4m! Xie Quipping holds The Guinness World Record for the most extended hair globally. She has long tresses of about 1.6m!
How to prepare rice water that benefits your hair?
There are two ways in which you can prepare rice water and achieve utmost benefits for your scalp & hair:
Boiled Rice Water
When the amount of water is added in excess while boiling the rice, the leftover water after straining the rice is beneficial for hair. This concentrated liquid has innumerable benefits to offer your mane.
How to make it?
- Take a cooking pot and fill it with a considerable amount of rice (white, brown, basmati or jasmine rice).
- Fill the pot with more water than you usually do while cooking rice.
- Boil the rice ( a normal process that you follow).
- Either take out the excess water that comes onto the top layer or wait till the rice is cooked & then strain the excess water and collect that water in a tumbler.
- This cloudy water is highly concentrated.
It is known as fermented water when the rice is soaked in water for a while to ferment before use. It is a potent liquid that should be diluted before use.
How to make it?
- Take a cup of rice & soak it in two cups of water.
- Keep it at rest for 12-24 hours.
- When the liquid smells sour, stop the fermentation and shift the liquid to another jar & keep it in the fridge.
- Add 1-2 cups of warm water before use as the fermented water is highly potent & direct use is not recommended.
How to wash hair with rice water?
The two ways of making rice water are explained above, but you should know how to use it correctly to achieve the desired results.
How to use boiled rice water for hair?
- Take a medium container of boiled rice water and mix it with a few drops of either lavender, rosemary or chamomile essential oil.
- You need to shampoo your hair and then pour the prepared rice water mixture over it. Leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- It is necessary to gently massage your scalp & hair during this time.
- Then rinse your hair with regular water thoroughly.
You need to use it once a week. You'll notice a change in the appearance & overall health of your hair.
How to use fermented rice water?
- Shampoo your hair as you do regularly.
- Soak your hair in rice water & begin it from the ends of your hair.
- After the hair ends, pour the solution on your scalp & massage it from the roots to the hair strands.
- Leave it in your hair for 20-30 minutes & then rinse it off with regular water.
How to use rice water in your hair?
There are different ways in which you can incorporate rice water in your hair care routine:
As a conditioner
- You can use diluted rice water as a conditioner.
- Apply it to your wet & clean hair.
- Massage it on your scalp gently & rinse after 5-10 minutes.
- For extra nourishment, you can add a few drops of essential oils like germanium, lavender, rosemary etc.
As a shampoo
- Mix rice water & its flour.
- Let it brew for 5-10 minutes.
- You can either use it as a stand-alone product or in a 1:1 ratio with your regular shampoo.
For curly hair
Curly hair is drier & more brittle. The goodness of protein in rice water seeps into the scalp deeply and improves the condition of the hair. It results in bouncy & manageable hair.
- Take rice water and apply it from the scalp to the ends.
- You need to keep it for at least 30 minutes so that it can penetrate & remain even after washing off.
How to use rice water for hair?
There are different ways to use rice water on your scalp and hair:
- If you use it as a shampoo, you can pour the mixture & massage it gently on your scalp. It will clear out the dirt & impurities from your scalp & hair.
- You can use it post conditioning. Just pour the rice water & thoroughly massage from your scalp to the outer lengths of your hair.
- You can take a cotton pad & soak it in rice water. Then apply it on your scalp & leave it on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing it off.
Are you aware of rice water benefits for hair?
Using rice water on the scalp & hair is an age-old practice followed by Asian countries. Continuous use of rice water will revive hair from weaker, dull, lifeless & damaged hair. Inositol is a compound found in rice water which is a carbohydrate, aids in strengthening the elasticity & reduces surface friction. Here are the benefits of rice water that make the mane healthy overall:
Betters hair growth
Nothing is better than rice water for treating hair from roots to tips. It is an antidote to curb hair fall & improves hair growth. The presence of amino acids in rice water mainly helps in hair regeneration. The power boost of protein in this water aids in the speedy growth of hair. Also, vitamins (B, C and E) play a crucial role in intensifying hair growth. Using this starchy water on your scalp and hair will give you outstanding results.
Diminishes split ends
Splitends tamper hair look. It is like a mess that needs to be fixed. To reduce or avoid split ends permanently, your hair needs protein & rice water has plenty of it. Split ends form at the end of hair strands due to inadequate maintenance & exposure to pollution. It results in an overall degeneration of hair health. The amino acids rescue and repair the damage caused to hair. It makes hair stronger, thicker & lessens the chances of nasty split ends.
Revamps hair look and feel
Rinsing hair with rice water once a week resolves your many hair issues. After shampooing your hair, instead of conditioner, use rice water. The results will amaze you as it will improve the hair texture & increase volume. It also tames and smoothens the hair. Above all, it makes the hair game stronger & healthier. The hair looks shinier & full of luster. It coats a layer of protection against pollution, heat-inducing electric hair appliances, chemicals in hair care products etc. Vitamin E and inositol in rice water alters the appearance of your hair.
Creates a protective shield against damage
Damage occurs to hair when there is excessive surface friction. Using rice water for hair will improve your hair elasticity due to inositol, a carbohydrate that repairs the damaged hair & protects the hair. Why is rice water an exemplary hair ingredient? It is because all other ingredients wash away after a shower, but inositol remains in hair even after rinsing off rice water & protects hair from further damage. If you love to use a curler, straightener and blow dryer, it is recommended to use it occasionally and apply rice water before styling your hair.
Dandruff is a menace. It attacks the scalp by making it itchy, irritating & inflamed. Excessive dandruff may turn into an embarrassment & lack of confidence as it leaves a shower of white mist on clothes. Dandruff comes due to the growth of Malassezia on the scalp. Using fermented rice water will cure rice water. It gives a moisturizing boost to the scalp & hair, securing that the dry skin turns into a healthy scalp. Using it once a week will keep dandruff & flakes at bay.
Lice is a pain as it ruins the peace & sucks your blood. The curative properties of rice water and the presence of starch tackle & kills the lice & nits instantly.
Do Nourish Mantra have any Rice Water product?
1. Advanced Hair Growth Serum
A pure nutrition for your hair, powered by regenerative Redensyl + AnaGain + Procapil + Rice Water. Provides voluminous, fresh, and healthy hair. It contains award-winning Redensyl and clinically proven AnaGain and natural protein from rice water which tirelessly promotes hair growth and reduces hair loss. Plus, natural extracts improve hair quality by increasing hair density and eliminating all your bald spots with this non-greasy formula.
2. Anti-Greying Rice Water Hair Serum
Clinically tested and proven ingredients like Arcolys and AnaGain that effectively fights gray hair, restore natural hair color, and promote hair growth. The star ingredient, the infamous rice water, has been used since 800 AD to nourish and strengthen the hair shaft. The natural extracts present in serum miraculously boost the overall performance, providing all the nutrients required to keep the hair young and healthy.
1. Which ingredients can you add to your rice water?
You can add orange peel and essential oils to help with the smell and with additional benefits of vitamin C and nourishment. You can also take lime water, apple cider vinegar with tea tree oil or aloe vera.
2. How to store rice water?
You can store rice water in the refrigerator for a week in a bowl covered with a lid. Shake it well before use. You can also free it if needed.
3. How often do you use rice water for hair?
It is recommended to use rice water for hair once or twice a week. Using it excessively can make hair dry, brittle and frizzy hair
4. Does rice water help in hair growth?
Yes, rice water is a potent ingredient that works effectively in hair growth if applied regularly.
5. Does rice water work on color-treated hair?
Yes! It is harmless for color treated hair. It won't change the hair color.
6. Do you need to make a change in your hair care routine?
No! There is no need to change your hair care routine as rice water can be applied after shampoo or conditioner.
7. Which method of preparing rice water is more beneficial?
Boiling rice to get rice water is the safest & easiest method. But fermented rice water is more effective and high in minerals, antioxidants & vitamin E. The pH levels in fermented water are better than in boiling rice water. The soaked or boiled rice water has higher pH levels than the fermented one, which helps close the cuticles and protects hair from damage.
8. Which type of rice is best to make rice water for hair?
You can use any type of rice like white, brown, black, basmati, short grain, jasmine, organic rice etc.
9. Is it safe to keep rice water on the scalp overnight?
No! Keeping rice water overnight on your scalp is overdoing it. Keep it on for not more than 20-30 minutes.
10. Does rice water suit every hair type?
Yes! Rice water suits every skin type.
11. What do you get in rice water for your scalp & hair?
Numerous nutrients are present in the rice water, like folic acid, niacin, magnesium and inositol. Amino acids in this water work like a protein treatment to make your hair stronger & healthier.