PCOS and skincare: The correct approach to soothe medically-induced acne
Genes, PCOS, pregnancy, stress, and side effects of medicines are all known to cause acne. To tackle the root cause of your acne, you have to hit all the spots, even lifestyle changes as we know it. For starters, a natural skin cleanser may reduce the severity of acne, but be strict and patient with your routine to see complete results.
Today, we shall discuss natural ways to get relief from acne caused by PCOS- PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome. Don’t worry; we will skip the dieting and gyming part for now and jump to natural skincare. (And it’s not just about finding the best natural face wash for acne).
While searching for clinical treatments to DIYs, we found one of the most effective skincare formulas- A mix of age-old natural ingredients and pure modern innovations. Shifting to ayurvedic and natural skincare, we realized that these are not just about tradition and feelings, but also about skin safety, multiple benefits, lasting results, and creating a sustainable world.
PCOS acne usually appears on cheeks, sidelocks, jawline, chin, and upper neck. Go through this detailed guide on natural skincare to understand how to reduce PCOS acne.
- Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar may be too acidic, causing burning.
- Baking soda is extremely harsh and drying.
Whiteheads: These are relatively mild. Whiteheads are white-colored closed pores formed on the outer layer of the skin. They are clogged with dead skin cells, oil, and bacteria. The area around it will not be red, and they are not painful to touch. (Thankfully!)
What to use?
- Green Tea: It’s an excellent ingredient to create the best natural face wash. It’s antifungal properties are best for a deep cleanse, removing clogged and closed pores like whiteheads.
- Tea Tree oil: Having antimicrobial properties, a mild solution rich in tea-tree oil could help clear up whiteheads.
- Aloe vera: Aloe Vera is a healing and soothing succulent. It has been used as natural skin medicine for many years.
- AHA (Alpha Hydroxy acid): Used to cleanse the outer layer of the skin and shed dead skin cells. For example, Glycolic acid, Papaya fruit, and Sugarcane extracts.
Use a natural face cleanser or face mask containing Green Tea, Tea Tree Oil, and Aloe vera in the morning and night.
Never use harsh and rough-textured products on any acne.
Blackheads: Similar to whiteheads, they have clogged but open pores. The oils and air mix up, causing oxidation, leaving dark-colored pores.
What to use?
- BHAs: Beta Hydroxy Acid: These organic compounds reach deep into our skin cells to exfoliate. For example, Salicylic acid. They break down clogging impurities and remove excess oil.
- Clay: Excellent to remove deep impurities and clear clogged pores. For example, Moroccan Lava clay with Activated Charcoal. These ingredients make the best natural cleansers for oily skin.
- Cucumber: This fruit is highly hydrating, purifying, and refreshing. It may uproot deep blackheads and, when mixed with mint, may soothe and control excess oil and balance skin fluids for supple and clearer skin.
- Start your day with a refreshing natural face cleanser made with cucumber, mint, and aloe vera.
- Massage with a natural face serum filled with multiple AHAs and fruit extracts for natural skin regeneration and toning.
- In the morning, use an SPF moisturizer for hydration and sun protection. It reduces the risk of inflammation.
- At night, use a clay-based cleanser made with purifying Moroccan lava and fuller’s earth. End the day with a toner and a natural nourishing night cream.
Non-inflammatory and minor acne can be reduced within a week.
Papules: These are moderate acne with no opening. Papules are small, pink-colored bumps, primarily raised in clusters. Do not try to grab or press, as it might push the impurities deeper inside the skin.
Pimples/Pustules: When papules are filled with pus, they convert to pustules. These red bumps with yellow openings are painful to touch. Pores are filled with deep impurities, dead skin cells, and oil.
What to use?
- All the above ingredients.
- Indian Lilac: Natively known as Neem, this exotic herb has been used as a medicine and healer for ages. It is one of the best ingredients to reduce inflamed acne.
- Holy Basil is also native to India. It is a highly effective herb on the skin, reaping multiple soothing and healing benefits. Acne reduction and oil control are one of them.
Natural face masks filled with healing herbs, exotic muds, and nutrients are among the best formulas to reduce acne, improve skin texture and promote hydration. Mud masks are the best natural cleansers for oily skin and are used only once a week.
Do not pop any acne, ever! It may worsen the condition and leave highly stubborn scars. Moderately inflamed acne can take a few weeks to diminish.
Cystic acne: It’s the second most severe type of acne caused by PCOS and caused when there is an infection in the pore cavity of Pustules filled with multiple bacteria, excess oil, and dead skin cells trapped within the skin pores infected with bacteria. It looks like a red boil and is very painful.
Nodules: Also rooted deep, nodules are not filled with pus but are harsh bumps. They are usually skin-colored and feel very bumpy on touching. They might or might not be painful. These are the most severe acne that is hidden deep inside the skin, causing internal damage.
What to use?
All of the above ingredients may be helpful. But severe acne is handled with a mix of oral medicines, antiseptics, and a natural skincare routine. It may take months to notice visible reduction.
Do not skip patch tests. Consult dermatologists for severe acne.
The ancient Indian regions discovered the extraordinary benefits of their native herbs and formulated multiple skincare solutions using their anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and wound-healing properties. Along with necessary lifestyle changes, it is best to keep your face clean and nourished.