Body Cream vs. Body Lotion: What's the Difference?
Body Cream vs. Body Lotion: What's the Difference?
Body lotion vs. body cream is quite a topic of discussion regarding which one is better and which skin type will suit it. The difference between body lotion and body cream is quite simple. Body lotions have more water content; thus, they are lighter, and body creams have more oily content; thus, they are thicker and heavy. While we go into further details about body lotion and cream difference, you will get a clear understanding on which one is better for you.
Let us deep dive into body lotion vs body cream:
What is body cream?
Body creams are thicker in texture and contain moisturizing ingredients like plant-based oils and butter. They are best for drier skin types because of their long-lasting moisturization.They tend to have more oil-based buttery viscosity, which is why they tend to hydrate for a longer time and do not need to reapply during the day. Body creams are the skin's best friend during winters when the aired environment strips healthy glow from your skin.
Who should use body cream?
If you are from the dry skin family, you will love using body creams. Creams have a thicker consistency meaning they have more occlusive properties. But even if you do not have dry skin, body creams are very effective during colder months. They prevent dry patches and keep the moisture barrier healthy for all skin types. If you have oily skin and might not like the feel of body cream during the day, you can use it at night to get extra benefits. Body cream will heal your skin during the night and prevent transepidermal water loss.
Some parts of your body end up drying out more than others, like; knees, elbows, and hands. You can use a body cream on these parts to prevent them from drying out too quickly.
Key Ingredient In Body Cream
1. Coconut Oil: is nature's best moisturizer because it makes the skin smooth, healthy, and hydrated. This oil can effectively treat people suffering from eczema.
2. Shea Butter: This ingredient is exceptionally moisturizing for dry & dehydrated skin. It has properties of humectant that successfully trap the moisture in the skin and make it appear softer, hydrated, and plumper. It coats the skin in healthy oils to retain moisture for a long time and keeps the skin smooth & hydrated.
3. Argan oil: suits even dry skin types because its moisturizing properties are highly effective as a standalone ingredient in products designed to soothe and help reduce sensitive skin reactions. As it has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps the skin to calm down and also helps to reduce redness.
4. Grapeseed Oil: It is well-known for its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. These properties make it a renowned topical ingredient to be used in skincare. Linoleic acid and Vitamin E provide a great deal of moisturization. If you are someone from a dry skin family, you will see a change in your skin once you start to use it. Also, grape seed oil helps to build up your skin's elasticity.
5. Squalane: Check squalane in your product label, as it has the power of antioxidants to help keep the skin supple, youthful, and hydrated. It turns down fine lines & wrinkles. This magic bullet ingredient is a lightweight moisturizer that makes your skin supple, luminous & hydrated.
What is a Body Lotion?
Body lotions are great for dehydrated skin as they consist of more water content in them. There are several reasons why body lotion is beneficial for dry, itchy skin, including genetics, skin conditions, and pool chemicals. They are perfect to use in summer as they do not leave a greasy effect on the skin. Regular body lotion will keep the skin moisturized, soft, supple, nourished, and glowing.
Who Should Use a Body Lotion?
Though body lotions are great for dry skin, they have some drawbacks. If you have dry skin, body lotions will not be able to moisturize the skin much as they are lightweight and do not stay on dry skin for a longer time. On the other hand, they work out perfectly for the oily skin type. Body lotions do not leave any greasy effects and mainly contain water-soluble content, making them great for oily skin. Body lotions also contain humectants which help prevent dehydration.
Key Ingredients In Body Lotion
1. Glycerin: Glycerin acts like a humectant. When applied to the skin, it retains moisture and does not let the skin dry out. This ingredient helps to absorb moisture from the air to keep your skin cells hydrated. It's especially beneficial if you're dealing with acne or eczema.
2. Hyaluronic acid: It maintains the natural water level in the skin and is preserved by hyaluronic acid, which keeps it lubricated and moisturized and prevents dryness.
3. Vitamin E: This ingredient is present in almost all skin ingredients. In addition to moisturizing dry skin, this multipurpose ingredient helps strengthen the skin barrier, thereby helping to maintain moisture levels. If you suffer from extreme flakiness and dry skin, vitamin E will help you combat these issues. This ingredient also has inflammatory components that help to soothe the skin.
4. Algae Extract: The particular kind of algae that is used is called astaxanthin. It provides intense hydration to the skin and has additional properties like collagen.5. Aloe Vera: It is a very affordable beauty gel with multiple benefits. The aloe plant has a high amount of magnesium lactate. This chemical component works rather well by turning down itchiness, sunburn, and inflammation. It is a natural antibacterial gel that can be applied directly on the skin.
Which Is Better?• For Dry skin
If you are from a dry skin type, you might be familiar with the feeling of reapplying your moisturizing products multiple times a day so that your skin does not dry out. It is safe to say that body creams will keep your skin from drying out quickly. Not only do body creams moisturize the skin, but they also do not let the skin dry out too quickly.• For Oily Skin
Compared to body creams, body lotion is much more beneficial because they are lightweight and non-greasy. Despite not drying out quickly, oily skin types can still be dehydrated and lose their luster if not taken care of.
Some Tips To Keep In Mind
There are some things to keep in mind while looking for any body cream or lotion. Here is something you should know about these body care products.
• Look for non-comedogenic products, especially if you are acne prone. If not, the body moisturizer can break you out.
• Do not use body lotion\cream on your face. This can be harmful to your face and can lead to worsening some skin concerns on your face.
• If you are a combination skin type, you can alternatively use body lotion and body cream. It is essential to know when to use body cream and body lotion. It is preferred to use a heavier product like body cream at night and a lighter product like body lotion in the morning.
• Try to avoid body lotion creams with artificial fragrances; they can be irritating to the skin.
• If you are looking for an extra dose of moisturization, try using body oil with your body lotion\cream.
Choosing the right product is a journey; try a few different ones before settling on one. Here is our product recommendation to you:
• Mystic Indian Rose Body Lotion: This natural body lotion is hard to put down. Made from 100% natural ingredients, it is excellent for every skin type. Moringa and Indian Ginseng extract with Shea Butter creates a perfect skin lotion that nourishes, combats skin dryness, and leaves a dewy velvet finish. It is a must-try product, especially during winter.
• Soft Nirvana Body Lotion: This ayurvedic body lotion is like a dream come true! It gets quickly absorbed, leaving your skin so soft. This lotion for the body spreads on the skin smoothly & vanishes into the skin without leaving any greasy film behind. Therapeutic botanicals of Tamarind, Gotu Kola & Indian Ginseng nourish, hydrate and buff the skin. Its soft, earthy fragrance makes for a complete sensory experience. This lotion is rich yet light enough to be used every day.