A Detailed Guide On Facial Cleanser
Cleansing your face daily is the first & integral part of your skincare routine. It removes excess oil, makeup, dirt, dead skin cells & sweat from the skin. After cleansing, you feel refreshed. The cleanser is that inevitable step in your skincare regimen without which skin won't be able to breathe freely. Using a cleanser daily as the foremost step in your skin regimen creates a clean foundation for applying other skincare products like toner, moisturizer, sunscreen, facial mist, etc. Not everyone has the same skin type and so as their skin needs.
Role of a facial cleanser
Facial cleanser is formulated to clean your skin. It is a skincare product that is used as the first step in the chronological order of the skincare regimen. It alleviates the accumulation of dirt, oils, makeup, dead skin cells & remains pollution without harming the skin's pH balance. It helps to decongest the pores & exfoliation of the top skin cells. It effectively makes the top layer of the skin squeaky clean without stripping the top layer. You should know how to use a face cleanser to reap maximum benefits out of it.
Different types of facial cleansers:
1. Gel cleansers: it has a gel-like consistency. Many gel cleansers deeply cleanse the skin and have exfoliating properties. It is ideal for oily & acne-prone skin.
2. Cream cleansers: it is usually thicker in consistency & has moisturizing properties. It cleanses the skin without stripping the skin's natural oils. It is ideal for dry & sensitive skin.
3. Foam cleansers: it is a lightweight solution that creates a foaming lather. It is pleasing to use & removes excess oil. It is ideal for combination skin types.
How does it work?
Face cleanser makes your skin clean & clear without leaving any residue of impurities. It infuses the much-needed hydration & soothes the skin. A person should know how to properly use cleanser? Cleansers are so loved by many over face wash because of their rich texture. They are either creamy or milky gels or balms ranging from thick to thin.
The face cleansers are formulated with ingredients that add value to your skin by nourishing it, balancing the complexion and uplifting the moisture levels.
The cleanser doesn't cause any harm to the skin as it only removes the impurities & balances the oil formation. It is best for many skin types, including normal, sensitive, dry & combination skin.
How often should you wash your face with cleanser?
Knowing when to use facial cleanser is equally essential to achieve healthy skin as knowing how to use facial cleanser. Most dermatologists say that a key to achieving healthy, glowing skin is a facial cleanser that should be according to your skin type. There are some points that need to be kept in mind before you decide on how often you should wash your face:
1. For most skin types, cleansing the face twice a day is sufficient, once in the morning and once at night. Following this practice will make your skin clean and prevent blemishes.
2. If you have oily or acne-prone skin type, you may feel the urge to cleanse your face multiple times a day. But you know excess of everything is bad. Over cleansing, your face will do more harm than good. It may lead to an overdrive of oil production and the formation of even more blemishes.
3. It is always said that you should remove your makeup at the end of the day. But do you know why it is vital to clean makeup before going to bed? Makeup on the skin clogs your pores, and its residue seeps into the skin overnight. So, remove your makeup before bed with a good makeup remover, then wash your face with a cleanser.
4. If you have dry & sensitive skin, cleanse your face once or twice a day with a mild cleanser. Be cautious while choosing your facial cleanser. Mild or gentle cleansers for sensitive skin effectively clean the pores without depleting the skin's natural moisture.
Look for the best ingredients in a facial cleanser
Purpose: increases skin turnover & encourages the generation of new healthy skin cells
Best suited for: Acne-prone or oily skin
2. Salicylic Acid
Purpose: reduces excess oil production & removes dead skin cells
Best suited for: Acne-prone or oily skin
Purpose: creates a strong skin barrier
Best suited for: Dry or sensitive skin
4. Vitamin C
Purpose: combats free radical production
Best suited for: All skin types
5. Chemical exfoliants
A broad category that involves different types of acid that removes the outermost layer of dead skin cells. Some of them are:
• Glycolic acid
• Lactic acid
• Salicylic acid
• Azelaic acid
• Trichloroacetic acid
Purpose: each ingredient tackles various skin ailments
Best suited for: salicylic acid for oily skin, lactic & glycolic acid for dry skin, azelaic acid for sensitive skin
6. Physical exfoliants
It refers to scrubs with particles like seeds, beads and granules that slough away dead skin cells.
Purpose: removes dead skin cells, increases skin cell turnover, softens & smooths skin
Best suited for: non-sensitive skin
Purpose: moisturized & hydrated skin, curbs dryness, prevents skin irritation and maintains skin barrier
Best suited for: dry & sensitive skin
Choose the best facial cleanser for your face according to your skin type
• For normal skin
Look for a gentle cleanser that helps to balance the oils in your skin. It can be easily washed off with water, making your skin soft, supple and moisturized.
• For oily skin
Get a water-based cleanser or a deep pore facial cleanser that will help to remove excess oil without stripping the skin's moisture. If you have acne, a facial cleanser for acne-prone skin will also help to combat the bacteria that cause it.
• For dry skin
You need a facial cleanser that has hyaluronic acid in it. This ingredient is highly effective in hydrating & plumping the skin while cleansing. Don't use soap on your face, as it can make your skin even drier.
• For combination skin
A foaming or lotion cleanser will work for this skin type. It helps to maintain the pH balance of the facial skin.
• For sensitive skin
Don't go for a facial cleanser with fragrances or other ingredients that trigger a skin reaction.
How to use a cleanser for face?
Knowing how to use cleanser on face is as important as the product you choose. Usage of the cleanser also depends on the type of it you prefer to use on your skin. So, it is important to read the instructions mentioned on your cleanser's packaging. A basic way of using the cleanser is guided step by step as below:
Step 1: Pull your hair back
If you have long hair or too much baby hair, use a hair tie to keep hair out of your face while cleansing your face. Doing so will make cleansing an even easier step. It cleanses the pores on your hairline that get clogged with excess hair product & oil.
Step 2: Wash your hands
Before cleansing your face, it is necessary to clean your hands. Washing your face with dirty hands will transfer grime & impurities from your hands to end up on your face.
Step 3: Wet your face
Wet your face with lukewarm water before using the cleanser. This helps the cleanser to spread evenly across your face, get into the skin smoothly & make the skin squeaky clean.
Step 4: Apply cleanser
Take a dime-size amount of cleanser onto your clean palm & then apply it to your face. Make sure to use the cleanser evenly on your face. Don't avoid the hairline, jawline and neck. Be careful around your eyes & mouth.
Step 5: Gently massage your face
After applying the cleanser, gently massage your face with your fingers in circular motions.
Step 6: Rinse off
When you are done cleansing your skin, rinse it off with lukewarm water. Avoid using too cold or too hot water while rinsing your face, as it can irritate or dry your skin.
Step 7: Pat dry your face
Use a soft towel to pat dry your face gently. The skin of your face is delicate, so avoid rubbing or pulling your skin as it will pull out moisture.
Step 8: Follow your skincare routine
Once your cleansing is done, you should religiously follow the rest of your skincare routine. Depending on your skincare goals, the skincare regimen may alter, but moisturizer & sunscreen can't be missed in any skincare routine.
Follow some tips on how to use face cleanser?
Gentle is the most overused word you may see when it comes to face care. It is because facial skin is delicate. To keep skin healthy, it should not be exposed to harsh elements.
1. Make sure you use your fingers gently on the face while using the product, as it can scrape the skin too hard. While applying the facial cleanser, glide your fingers over the face to spread & rub lightly.
2. The most important thing you need to remember is to wipe off the makeup at the end of the day. Use your makeup remover or soft cotton pads to wipe it off gently. To ensure no traces of makeup are left, you can use facial wipes.
3. Choosing the right cleanser is extremely important. You have to use a cleanser everyday, maybe twice a day. So, look for ingredients that are gentle & will not harm your skin type. Using a harsh facial cleanser strips off the skin's natural oils and makes it dry and tight.
4. One of the best cleansing tips is incorporating a face mask and scrub into your weekly skincare routine. It deeply cleanses the skin. Even if you cleanse your skin every day, a scrub and face mask will help to alleviate the dead skin cells from the layers of the skin.
5. Never use hot water on the face. Hot water strips the essential oils and makes skin dry & tight. Use lukewarm water on your face so that you feel good & keep the facial skin healthy.
6. To keep skin healthy, it is necessary to combat the onslaught of pollution. Choosing the right moisturizer and sunscreen will take care of the facial skin and will safeguard the skin from the harsh effects of the sun & pollution.
See our range of facial cleanser
1. Cucumber Mint Upvan Facial Cleanser
A perfect concoction of refreshing cucumber extracts & calming aloe vera leaf extracts with nutritive niacinamide will pull out impurities & makeup. It makes you feel fresh instantly & imparts an unmatchable radiance.
2. Green Tea Tatva Scrub Cleanser
A 2-in-1 product has the qualities of both a cleanser & scrubber. The unbeatable green tea in this product exfoliates dead skin cells and clears makeup, dirt & impurities. The antioxidant & antibacterial properties help to transmit a healthy appearance & youthful glow.
3. Ratrani Clay Cleanser
A luxurious formulation of Moroccan lava clay, french red clay and activated charcoal mixed with a buttery-soft base. It detoxifies the skin, absorbs excess oil produced by pores and gives you velvety soft skin.
What should the morning cleanse look like?
A light cleanser is necessary for the morning as your skin sweats & detoxes while you sleep. It also helps remove the product used in your night care routine. It is a clean canvas for your daytime products to absorb skin products effectively.
What should the night cleanse look like?
It is recommended to double cleanse your facial skin in the evening. Choose the cleanser according to your skin type, and it will work in favor of your skin by keeping blackheads at bay & prepping the skin for other skincare products.
What are the most common cleansing mistakes?• Not cleansing
• Cleansing inconsistently
• Using an ineffective cleanser
• Using a too harsh cleanser
When to use face cleanser?
Cleansing is important in both morning and night skincare routines. In the morning, it gets rid of excess oil formation & impurities build up while sleeping. At night, it ensures that the skin is cleared of makeup, oil & dirt of the day.