6 Reasons to Use Lavender Oil for Skin
Lavender oil is derived from the blossoming purple flower, striking gold in the skincare world. This vaunted botanical flower belongs to the mint family. Its aroma is wholly unique and takes you to another world. It has a long history in the beauty & medical treatment category that suggests it is an alimentary and beautiful plant.
It has become the most desired and enjoyable fragrance because of its lavish scent and healing effects. The Victorian ladies loved using this lavender oil as perfumes, and it was also used as an antiseptic in the First World War. There are multiple benefits of lavender oil, from reducing headaches and stress to keeping bugs at bay. Do you know lavender essential oil benefits for skin? If not, then you should indeed read the following points that will compel you to indulge in lavender oil in your skincare regimen:
How is the oil extracted from the lavender flowers?
Needless to say, the fan following of lavender oil amongst all other essential oils is tremendous. There are uncountable lavender essential oils benefits for skin, hair, and body. But do you know how this alluring & aromatic oil is made? How are those eye catchy petals modified into an oil that you all love for daily use?
1. The harvested lavender from the fields is used to make lavender essential oil. A bunch of charismatic flowers are kept at rest for several weeks to let them dry. This is to hold back the preciousness of oil from getting foul. The buds are quickly taken off from the stems when they are dry.
2. Steam distillation process is taken up after flowers are dried enough. It helps to take maximum benefits out of lavender. They aren't tarnished by acetone or hexane, which are mostly used in solvent extraction methods.
3. At the time of distillation, the buds of lavender flowers are placed above the boiling water as the boiling water mildly steams the lavender. The high pressure and extreme heat push out the oil from the flowers. The steam handles the mixture of the steam & oil to a condenser; here, it is also cooled down & changed back into a liquid. The steam turns into hydrosol & peerless drops of lavender oil are separated naturally.
Let’s get acquainted with the benefits of lavender oil for skin
Lavender oil benefits for skin are enormous because of its small molecular structure that helps to penetrate the skin to offer the utmost benefits.
1. Brings harmony to oily & acne affected skin
Using lavender oil on the skin may sound contradictory. This magical elixir is a rescuer for your oily and acne-prone skin. It takes away excess oil, heals acne, treats blemishes and prevents future breakouts.
Few people make the mistake of using harsh products on their problematic skin to get clear skin instantly but end up in even worse situations. The skin becomes severely dry, forms even more oil, and blocks the pores. This all ends up creating propionibacterium acnes.
Applying this oil to the skin regulates the oil production of the skin, balances the moisture barrier and keeps the skin moisturized. The antibacterial properties in this oil kill the bacteria that enter the pores, and its anti-inflammatory properties soothe the inflammation. This oil is non-comedogenic, which is why it can be used on oily & acne prone skin, as it won't clog the pores.
A study found that a concentration of 0.25% of lavender oil kills off the acne p.bacteria in about 5 minutes. Studies also mention that sometimes people break out when they are stressed. It is also believed that acne increases due to the excess formation of sebum that is produced in times of stress. Lavender essential oil plays a significant role as a great stress buster and acne reliever. It will perform both of its functions at the same time.
• As lavender oil is a type of essential oil, it is necessary to mix it with a carrier oil like coconut oil and then apply it on your face after cleansing.
• Make a toner with 2 drops of lavender essential oil with 1 tablespoon of witch hazel. Take this mixture on the cotton pad and gently rub it on your face.
• To clear up acne, mix a drop of lavender oil with a drop of argan oil and apply it on our face directly twice a day.
2. A distinguished ingredient for redness, psoriasis and rosacea
The lavender oil uses for skin is varied. This high-standard essential oil works phenomenally well by healing skin conditions, cuts and burns. The valuable anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antifungal & detoxifying properties of lavender oil make it a powerful ingredient that calms redness, soothes the skin, and heals minor cuts & scrapes.
The vivifying properties of this oil pamper the skin affected with rosacea & psoriasis. Lavender oil is good for skin as it has a magical effect in reducing the stress that lowers psoriasis outbreaks and regulates new skin cells. This herb has been used for decades to restore healthy skin by cleaning the wound, and treating burns and other injuries.
• Make a concoction of lavender essential oil with aloe vera gel. This mixture heals sunburns and quickly treats minor wounds by repairing damaged skin & tissue with minimal scarring.
• To treat inflammation on skin burns, you can prepare a mixture of 1 to 3 drops of lavender essential oil with 1 to 2 teaspoons of moringa or coconut oil.
• Put together a quarter cup of aloe juice with 2 teaspoons of distilled water, 10 to 12 drops of lavender oil & jojoba oil in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle vigorously before spraying it on the skin. It works effectively against sunburns.
3. Beat off spots & scars
The anti-inflammatory properties help in treating acne scars and age spots. This perfect ingredient calms, soothes, lightens & brightens the skin like no other. The antioxidants present in this oil aim at repairing the scars & hyperpigmentation.
Lavender oil does a galactic job by working on the scars, reduces inflammation, quicks up the regenerative process and rebuilds collagen & elastin.
Lavender for skin benefits is showcased in a broader picture because of its excellence in calming and healing the skin instantly. It helps minimize and lighten dark age spots, sun spots and pigmentation marks. Use it without a miss to get that healthy glow on your face.
Make a formula of lavender oil with frankincense essential oil in equal amounts & apply it on your skin just before going off to bed.
4. Pacifies dry skin & eczema
Eczema is a skin condition that doesn't let you sit in peace. It makes the skin dry, chapped and itchy. Using lavender for skin benefits you by regulating and balancing the skin's moisture barrier and soothes the dry skin too. It makes your skin well moisturized and no longer makes you feel irritated with constant itching. Lavender oil supplies the skin with its prestigious nutritive properties that rejuvenate the skin and make it healthy, smooth & soft. It lowers the redness & signs of aging.
For eczema, mix equal amounts of tea tree oil and lavender oil with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Use it daily.
5. Takes hold of premature aging
Lavender oil is an antidote for aging. The antioxidant properties of the oil boost the skin & uplift collagen production. The anti-aging benefits of lavender oil are that it tight & taut the skin and gradually smoothes wrinkles & fine lines.
Over exposure with free radicals like the sun, pollution, lack of sleep, stress & illness. Due to the oxidation process, free radicals damage the skin cells & ultimately results in the breakdown of collagen & elastin. This results in wrinkles, fine lines, premature sagging, dehydration & loss of youthful charm.
The presence of antioxidants in lavender oil fights off those free radicals that lead to oxidative damage & so repairs and protects the skin.
A few drops of lavender oil with coconut oil will give you desired results.
6. Evens out the blotchy skin
Lavender oil is good for skin in many ways. But it also works well in evening out the skin tone as it reduces inflammation. It reduces discolouration on the skin, including those stubborn dark spots. It is an excellent reliever for the ones facing blotchiness & redness. It also can treat hyperpigmentation.
Mix 2-3 drops of lavender oil with 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel and 1 vitamin E capsule. Apply it on your face for 20 minutes and wash it off.
Even though lavender oil for skin benefits is a cure for all the skin ills, a few precautions are needed to be followed:
1. A patch test is always recommended. This will ensure whether you're allergic to it or safe to use.
P2. regnant women, breastfeeding mothers, small children & elderly people are not recommended to use lavender oil. People undergoing surgery are also not recommended to use this oil.
3. Don't overuse the oil, as an excess of everything is bad. It can cause skin sensitivity.
4. A pool of lavender oil in the market portrays them as pure & natural and may not be safe. The oil should be extracted from organically grown plants and lab-tested. It is also crucial to intend to use lavender oil with food.
5. Avoid hearsay & read the usage information & instructions from the label of the product. Ask your dermatologist before use.
Nourish Mantra’s superstar lavender oil products
Vetiver and lavender upayas hand wash
This hand wash with lavender essential oil makes the skin soft, supple and nourished. The oil in hand wash heals & moisturizes the skin from deep within. It thoroughly cleanses the hands while imparting a calming aroma.
Vetiver and lavender upayas hand lotion
A lotion with lavender essential oil moisturizes the hands that have become dry or irritated. This lavender lotion benefits the hand skin by making it soft and smooth with long-lasting moisturization & fragrance.
How can lavender oil be applied to the skin?
Lavender oil is typically used topically on the skin. However, the methods of use may differ based on the preferred ways of application. It is advised by dermatologists not to go heavy-handed on this oil as it is highly concentrated. 2-3 drops are most likely to be used on the skin. Dilution is a must. Directly applying lavender oil on the skin may lead to irritation and inflammation. So, diluting it with a carrier oil or minimally processed oils like olive, argan or coconut oil is essential.
How to use lavender oil for the skin?
The usage of lavender oil is dependent on what you are treating. You can mix it with carrier oil and apply it as a lotion. If you are applying it on the damaged part of the skin, then it is best to use a cotton ball, which is cleaner than your fingers.